Monday, March 7, 2011

Funny

For two weeks we are studying penguins in my first grade classroom. On Friday I had a few minutes before the kids went home so I thought it would be great to show them some of the movie The March of the Penguins. (If you haven't seen it, you should. Although admittedly I only made it to the part where the father's are huddled together freezing. Sometimes nature can be a bit too hard for me to handle.) My kids are gathered on the carpet mesmerized. We got to the part where the march begins and you see hundreds of penguins in a line, waddling on the ice. Then of course they have to show you the one penguin in the back, struggling, that isn't going to make it. I begin to see looks of panic and concern on my students' faces.

Me - That penguin isn't going to make it with the rest of the group. He is going to die.

Girl - Why?

Me - Well it's just like people. Some people live to be very old, and some people don't.

Silence.

A different girl - Just like Michael Jackson.

Silence

Boy - Yeah. Because of those pills.

No comments: