Thursday, January 6, 2011

Back to Reality

Monday school resumed, but I didn't start teaching again until today. I feel worked. I am crossed eyed and kind of dizzy actually. Hmmm. Amazing how 2 weeks can alter your stamina.

Anyway, I came back to Vista today after a break in that occurred over the holiday. It was worse than I first heard and they are quite sure that it was former students. So sad. There was a camera stolen from my class and a lap top from another. Lots of vandalism and a huge mess. But the worst thing that happened was that they killed the bearded dragon that lived next door to me in the other first grade. They poured cleaner into her cage and of course she didn't survive. An awful person vandalizes and steals, but I think it takes some one with serious issues to harm a helpless living thing. RIP Buzz. The Claremont police department are actually buying a new one for us. Very nice.

A few favorite moments from my day: A former student of mine that comes from an extremely dysfunctional family saw me and literally lit up with the best smile and gave me a big hug. Another dysfunctional student that is new this year and in the fourth grade has taken a liking to me told me he was going to come see me at recess every day to help me out. At a parent meeting after school a very funny, outspoken, African-America mom told me that her son listens to me and my partner well. She reminded me that he doesn't respond to any of the sweet "honey" or "baby" talk. He needs the "black momma" not to be confused with "mommy." I started laughing and she was very serious. She asked me if I put that in my notes and I said, "definitely."

I have days where I feel like teaching isn't the job for me. It can be so draining and sometimes not fulfilling. But then you have a day like this one and it's as if your fire has been lit once again and you have the energy to last a while longer. At least until tomorrow.;)

3 comments:

Rosemary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charlotte said...

I hear you, Maria!

Susan said...

For whatever it's worth here, I have more days than not where I think that what I'm doing definitely isn't fulfilling and I think that if I were shaping young lives - besides the two that live with me - that I would perhaps be able to be more optimistic. Maybe that's not realistic but I hope that you'll keep on keeping on for all those kids that you touch each day.