Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pastor Emeritus


Dad got Emeritized today. (Yep. Not a word. I made it up.) During the service today he was recognized with a nice ceremony acknowledging him as Pastor Emeritus immediately following the sermon. In the sermon Pastor Rob talked about a group he participated in early in his career where pastors got together and rather than talk and support one another they all tried to "one up" the other. So when dad was asked to speak he said, "I was going to talk about my book entitled, Humility and How I Achieved It, but I won't." As always, the congregation got a good laugh. I am always so impressed at his ability to say something witty yet appropriate and then follow it up with something sentimental. I guess after 50+ years of public speaking you get pretty good at it. Finally they gave him a beautiful plaque and honored him with a tearful standing ovation. I say it's about time! Go dad!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Wish we could have been there to see and hear it!

Rosemary said...

Way to go, Daughter! What a nice tribute to your dad. It was a special day and your dad appreciated and enjoyed it. (So did I!)